tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Parsons Technical Services" <parsonstechni...@earthlink.net>
Subject Re: common image practice?
Date Thu, 02 Dec 2004 22:15:28 GMT
> On Thu, Dec 02, 2004 at 12:51:21AM -0700, D. Stimits wrote:
> : I'm looking for a "good" or "best" practice to deal with site-wide logo
> : type files...things that will never change, and that every app will want
> : access to. This is on linux, but enabling sym links just seems to be an
> : admin/backup complexity,

An approach I took to a different problem may work. I needed to upload and
serve out images for an app. I did not want to include the images in the app
and did not want them to be removed or overwritten on redeploy of an app.

I wrote a small class to access a directory that would store the images and
another to take request for these images and retrieve them from the external
directory. I could see creating a small class that looked into a common
folder and served these items.

Note: My solution is NOT portable and I have total control on the server.

If you would like further details ...

Option 2:

Have a separate app that does nothing but serves up these common items. The
path in your pages would then be absolute urls and not relative. (I have
seen several IP paths like this as well.)

Option 3:

Store it in a database that all apps have access to. This would at least
meet spec. You could have a class that polls the database on some interval
(daily) and holds the objects in memory to serve them as needed.

Doug

www.parsonstechnical.com