tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Montz, James C. (James Tower)" <>
Subject RE: Log on linux
Date Tue, 14 Dec 2004 19:35:08 GMT
I don't believe this is Tomcat at all, and is more likely the result of
a log rotation application.

What Linux Distribution are you using?

RedHat uses an application called logrotate.  Sounds to me like you are
Writing your logs to some place like /var/log
You have a logrotate entry defined to rotate the files in your Tomcat
Logging Directory (In Redhat, take a look at /etc/logrotate.d, and man

-----Original Message-----
From: Andrea Prandini []
Sent: Tuesday, December 14, 2004 7:52 AM
To: 'Tomcat Users List'
Subject: Log on linux

I've got some production enviorment installed on linux with Tomcat 5 and
Tomcat 4.1. I've configured tomcat for logging as configured in the
server.xml (using FileLogger) and everything works fine. My problem is
i find too many log files with the extension .gz. Seems that there's a
scheduled job that compress the log files stored in logs directory. The
first time creates localhost_log.2004-11-28.txt.1.gz, after few days
localhost_log.2004-11-28.txt.1.gz.1.gz and on. Someone can help me and
if this is a configurations of tomcat.

Thanks in advance

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail: