tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Román Pena <rp...@publicinet.net>
Subject Re: tomcat 5.5 and jndi context naming error
Date Fri, 17 Dec 2004 09:54:00 GMT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ken Hall" <ken.hall@reehergroup.com>
To: <tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org>
Sent: Thursday, December 16, 2004 10:41 PM
Subject: tomcat 5.5 and jndi context naming error

>Since downloading the new version of Tomcat 5.5.4, I have been
>experiencing problems with jndi resources within my web app. I am
>porting over from an existing server where that resource is working.

I think you shoud change your config. From 5.0 to 5.5, the context xml
files have changed. Now, instead of using resource params, you should
use attributes in the Resource tag. Change this:

    <Resource auth="Container"
              name="jdbc/myapp"
              type="javax.sql.DataSource"/>

    <ResourceParams name="jdbc/myapp">
      <parameter>
        <name>maxWait</name>
        <value>5000</value>
      </parameter>
      (...)
    </ResourceParams>

To this:

    <Resource auth="Container"
              name="jdbc/myapp"
              type="javax.sql.DataSource"
              maxWait="5000"
              (...)
    />

I had the same problem, but it took me some time and headaches to
notice the documentation had changed. Maybe the docs for 5.5
should have reflected the changes with BIG RED LETTERS or so.
I'd want the people at the Jakarta project to think of it:
If you save half an hour to each developer or admin who migrates
to 5.5, maybe you are saving 2 or 3 lives a month :D
--Steve jobs way of thinking ;)