tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Parsons Technical Services" <parsonstechni...@earthlink.net>
Subject Re: Tomcat as standalone
Date Mon, 13 Dec 2004 05:01:50 GMT
Dola,

You will find a wealth of opinions on this.

The real answer is always a big IT DEPENDS.

Because each case is different only you can really determine this.

Some things to ask:

Is there something you are doing that Tomcat can't do unless connected to
Apache?

Are the majority of your hits to the static content?

How many apps are running?

How will the apps and static content be managed?

And I am sure many on the list (more experienced than I) can add some more.

I currently have a small site and all is served by Tomcat. Performs fine for
me. As Tomcat has matured it has improved to the point that it can run
standalone in all but the most demanding situations. And again you will find
a wide range of opinions on this.

To begin with, I think you will be fine with Tomcat alone. Unless there is a
functionality of Apache that you need. You can always add it later if
needed.

Just my  .02

Doug