tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "John Smith" <cml...@acedsl.com>
Subject Re: JNDI object not shared among TC instances
Date Tue, 14 Dec 2004 19:43:33 GMT
> Why would you expect this to be possible?

> JNDI defines an API for a directory . . .

Nope! JNDI stands for  Java Naming and Directory Interface (JNDI)

check out  java.sun.com/products/jndi/

most 'Naming' services work is based on networking protocols even many of
those looking like file/directory ones

> Once you involve multiple JVMs, you need some sort of object sharing
and/or persistence system to allow code in multiple JVM's to look up 'the
same' objects.

 . . .  object sharing . . ., which I (to a certain extent wrongly or
wishfully thining) understood to be provided by JNDI.

 The 'persistence' part of it I can be taken care of by other subsystem or
yourself

> Some of us used to work on Object Oriented Databases for this purpose

 One way to go

Why would you expect this to be possible?

JNDI defines an API for a directory. Inside one JVM, it's simple
technology to use that API to look up Java objects. Once you involve
multiple JVMs, you need some sort of object sharing and/or persistence
system to allow code in multiple JVM's to look up 'the same' objects.
Some of us used to work on Object Oriented Databases for this purpose
--- EJBs are another view.