tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "David Boyer" <Da...@bvu.edu>
Subject Re: Multipe Tomcat instances
Date Tue, 30 Nov 2004 00:54:03 GMT
I would say one of the benefits is the ability to have sites using
different versions of Tomcat and Java. We run two instances on our main
server: one hosts our official sites, the other hosts user
(student/faculty) sites.

This lessens the possibility that any 'untrusted' code on our user
sites can impact the availability of our official sites. Also, each
instance of Tomcat can have its own security policy, and since each JVM
instance is a separate OS process, each can run under an account with
the minimum permissions needed by the site.

When I do upgrade the JDK or Tomcat version, the user site instance
tends to get it before the official site instance. If there is a problem
that doesn't show up in our test environment, I'd rather take my chances
having it happen to the user instance rather than the official instance.
I plan to upgrade our user instance to Tomcat 5.5.4 and Java 5, but I'll
wait to do our official instance until an academic break.

My default web.xml is different for each instance as well: the Jasper
checkInterval is more frequent for our user instance than our official
instance since official developers use a development server to work out
their code.

In our environment, the differences between the requirements of the two
hosts makes it smarter to use separate instances of Tomcat for each.

>>> daly@ctc.com 11/29/2004 1:49:35 PM >>>

Does anyone have experience with setting up multiple instances of
Tomcat
instead of having multiple hosts being served under one instance?

If anyone does, what are some pros and/or cons to doing things this
way?

Thanks.