tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Chandrasekar Krishnan <krish...@research.rutgers.edu>
Subject HTTP persistence with Tomcat 4.1.29
Date Thu, 18 Nov 2004 13:57:35 GMT
Dear Tomcat users,

What is the most reliable way to verify that persistent HTTP connections
are maintained between a Tomcat server and a Java based Http Client
(both HTTP 1.0 and 1.1 requests)? I've tried something on my own
unsuccessfully.

On the Tomcat server, I have turned on logging for the incoming header
"Connection" using AccessLogValve Pattern (using %{Connection}i) and
verified that the client is sending "Keep-Alive". Is there any way to log
the response header "Connection" to see whether the server is not sending
"Close" in the response? I can't find a way to log response headers in
Tomcat. I have used netstat, but I can't get clinching evidence with it.

Is it true that the Tomcat servlet needs to call setContentLength for
dynamic content to support persistent connections, even for HTTP 1.1
requests or is HTTP 1.1 sophisticated enough that it doesn't need that
header to maintain HTTP persistence? There are concerns with setting that
header if it's not needed, since it can cause a connection to hang if set
to an incorrect value.

I am using Tomcat server 4.1.29 on Solaris 5.8, JDK 1.4.2. The Http
Clients I use are Apache Commons and Trove Http Client.

Thanks in advance for your clarifications.
Chandrasekar