tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Kilic, Hakan" <Hakan.Ki...@scansoft.com>
Subject Tomcat 4.1.30 and Cookie problems (HTTP 1.1 spec)
Date Fri, 19 Nov 2004 05:46:20 GMT
Hi all,

When using Tomcat 4.1.30, I haven't been able to determine from the
documentation if it uses Netscape style cookies, or HTTP 1.1 style cookies.
With Netscape style cookies, you get the EXPIRES attribute, and with HTTP
1.1 style, you get the MAXAGE attribute instead.

Also, I'm seeing the following behavior, and would love to know if someone
knows what's going on (here's a snippet from a proxy I was running).

REQUEST THAT COMES IN:
+++++++++++++++++++++
GET /myapplication/page1.jsp HTTP/1.1
Accept: */*
Host: myserver
Cache-Control: max-age=0

Cookie: $Version=1; JSESSIONID=4C769DCBFDB7E7099BC78FE092A0A853; $Path=/;
$Domain=myserver

Cookie: $Version=1; JSESSIONID=35300D6FBA7FB8312EC00BAD5BD27138;
$Path=/myapplication; $Domain=myserver

RESPONSE:
++++++++++++++++++++++
HTTP/1.1 200 OK

Set-Cookie: JSESSIONID=5CEF133DB1A6D2EB51E8FCCB71FDD8FE; Path=/myapplication

Now I know that previously in my application two cookies are created, one
with $Path=/ and one with $Path=/myapplication.

What I don't understand is if the order that cookie comes in is the problem,
or if the fact that two cookies are sent is the problem.

Why is Tomcat creating a new cookie/session for page1.jsp if it gets sent a
cookie with a valid JSESSIONID for the correct path? Session timeouts?
Invalidation of the session? Wrong cookie order?

Any help is much appreciated,

-HK