tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Peter Crowther" <Peter.Crowt...@melandra.com>
Subject RE: Configuration Management, JSP Recompiles, War Files
Date Mon, 08 Nov 2004 13:14:22 GMT
> From: Shapira, Yoav [mailto:Yoav.Shapira@mpi.com]
> One great way to approach production setups for Tomcat is one
> webapp per Tomcat instance.

> Restarts are then quick and easy, and no matter what
> this one webapp does (OutOfMemoryErrors, malicious code,
> etc.) it can't
> affect others you have running around because they're in a different
> JVM.  The ease of setting up Tomcat standalone makes this not just
> feasible, but probably recommended over a many webapps per Tomcat
> instance setup.

This approach works well if:

- the webapps have a memory footprint that is large enough to make the
JVM overhead irrelevant;

- the webapps do not have to be run on the same port.

If you are running hundreds of tiny webapps it might be a bit of
overkill, and if many of those webapps need to be on (for example) port
80 or 8080 then it simply doesn't work.  This said, I agree with Yoav -
it makes management a whole lot easier and reduces interactions between
webapps.  I use it wherever I'm principally running services that don't
need to be exposed via our firewall.

		- Peter