tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Januski, Ken" <kjanu...@phillynews.com>
Subject RE: [OT] SCWCD Exam 1.4
Date Wed, 24 Nov 2004 23:06:37 GMT
I'm part way through the Head First book. I really didn't like Head First
Java though it got rave reviews when it came out. And I did like the first
version of the Manning SCWCD book.

That said I'm finding the Head First Servlets and JSP book enjoyable, though
I've only read the first 150 pages or so. The authors are from
www.javaranch.com and I'm sure you can get plenty of additional information
there. Of course a lot of fans of the Head First books hang out there too.

Whether you could actually use it for certification I'm not sure. I think
that you probably could based on what I've read so far because it strives to
get you to understand servlets, jsp and everything connected with them on a
basic level. It does so with jokes, cartoons, fill in the blank pages, etc.
I'm sure a lot of people will hate this manner of learning just as others
can't stand the drier approach of the Manning book. My feeling is that if
you are not someone who gets offended by jokey material that you can read
this book and learn enough to pass the exam, esp. if you also read the specs
as the book suggests. But take this with a grain of salt as I've not taken
the 1.4 exam and I'm only 1/8 of the way through the book.

If you like your books serious though, then steer very clear.

Hope this helps,

Ken