tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Didier McGillis" <codesmo...@hotmail.com>
Subject RE: Apache Tomcat production deployment: yr opinion reqd
Date Wed, 17 Nov 2004 16:38:01 GMT
Comments below.

>From: Vijay <vjkins@yahoo.com>
>To: tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org
>Subject: Apache Tomcat production deployment: yr opinion reqd
>Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2004 08:28:37 -0800 (PST)
>

>Hello everyone -
>
>We would like to evaluate Apache/Tomcat as a
>production-quality deployment for our organization's
>retail operations. I would appreciate if someone could
>comment / provide expert opinion on the following:
>
>a) Is Apache web server/Tomcat a proven production
>option for large-scale deployments (we are looking at
>about 1000 users served by a single instance of
>Apache/Tomcat3.x on an AS/400 box]. Now, this might
>sound silly but we would be extremely happy if someone
>can allay our concerns :)

Alot will depend on the configuration of the as/400 and the code you are
using.  What is the number of estimated concurrent users?

>b) I believe the default configuration settings for
>Apache/Tomcat are usuallly appropriate for a
>medim-sized deployment. Is there any
>document/web-site/ list mail archive that can guide me
>on how to arrive at optimum configuration settings?
>Any information on what  to look out for when
>configuring for medium to large deployments would be
>of immense help.

You can google for most tidbits and information, if you have a specific
question the archives of this list are a good resouce, also there are
numerous books on the subject, (which there are several lists of them if you
serach the archive).  I would however offer one caveat settings,
configurations and JVM/application optimizations are like finger prints, and
so you can get ideas, but your going to have to see through trial and error
what works for your specific application/hardware/software.

>c) Are there any performance improvements that I can
>expect if i upgrade to Tomcat 4.x?

Tons ;)