tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Shapira, Yoav" <Yoav.Shap...@mpi.com>
Subject RE: Ordering loading order of webapps
Date Tue, 30 Nov 2004 15:33:38 GMT

Hi,

>>It's fragile design
>What do you mean?

It's fragile because it's not portable.  Other containers of the present
and future won't support this feature because it's not in the Spec.  The
Spec won't have this feature because it encourages coupling of web
applications, which are supposed to be independent of each other.  So
even if you do a solution for Tomcat it won't be portable now or in the
future, meaning it's a waste of time.

>I could, but this is so ugly. And the patch is version-dependent.

Any patch would be container-specific, which is even worse than
version-dependent.

>(I've posted another email re: that, anyway)

I (and I'm sure others) have noticed your other message.  It's a similar
story, although more interesting, and not as bad as apps relying on one
another.  For resources to rely on one another there has to be a loading
order to them.  Again, not mandated by the Spec, and therefore not
portable even if we did do it in Tomcat.

For situations like that, you can use a framework like Tapestry or any
other that resolves these dependencies for you.

>Thank you for your answer, Yoav. BTW, I'm impressed by the number of
posts
>you answer to... Bravo! :)

Thank you ;)  I try to help...

Yoav Shapira http://www.yoavshapira.com