tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Shapira, Yoav" <Yoav.Shap...@mpi.com>
Subject RE: Bind Object into Global JNDI Within Servlet?
Date Thu, 18 Nov 2004 18:30:07 GMT

Hi,

>Thanks for the reply!  Any chance webapps will be able to bind objects
>into global JNDI in the future?  I've been using Tomcat 5.0.x.

Any chance?  Sure.  It's low, but it's there.  We're not working on it
at the moment.  But I'm following Geronimo:Naming
(http://geronimo.apache.org/modules/naming/index.html), which is a fork
of Tomcat's naming code.  If it allows writing and binding, or if it
adds other cool features, we might start using it.

>Otherwise, any recommendations for sharing objects across webapps that
>can't be setup using the <GlobalResources> ?  I need to configure some
>things at startup of my webapp.

That's why we give you a shared classloader repository:
$CATALINA_HOME/shared/classes and shared/lib, as explained in the
classloader how-to.  Things in there are visible to all webapps.  You
can further enforce patterns like a Singleton so that only one instance
of a class exist and is shared among all your webapps.

Yoav