tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Shapira, Yoav" <Yoav.Shap...@mpi.com>
Subject RE: valve versus filter
Date Wed, 17 Nov 2004 17:50:45 GMT

Hi,
Valves have the advantage that you can define them (once) for an entire
Host, so they apply to all the applications on the Host.  However, they
are Tomcat-specific, unlike Filters, so their portability is limited.

The Servlet Spec provides for no way to define a Filter for multiple web
apps.  So any way you choose to proceed will be non-Portable.
Therefore, you might as well stick with your current setup.

Yoav Shapira http://www.yoavshapira.com