tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Shapira, Yoav" <Yoav.Shap...@mpi.com>
Subject RE: JAVA_OPTS
Date Mon, 15 Nov 2004 19:05:40 GMT

Hi,

>I understand why you would set a max amount of memory that Java will
use
>(-Xmx 512m), but why do you set a minimum (-Xms128m)? Doesn't it just
use
>what it needs until it hits the max?

People set the minimum so that it's allocated on startup.  That's faster
than allocating each block size on demand.  However, the difference
between -Xms allocation and on-demand allocation has really shrunk with
JDK 1.4.2 and later, making this option fairly (but not completely)
obsolete).

Yoav Shapira http://www.yoavshapira.com