tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Shapira, Yoav" <Yoav.Shap...@mpi.com>
Subject RE: Huge tomcat memory footprint
Date Thu, 04 Nov 2004 12:54:44 GMT

Hi,

>If there is a memory leak in our application, tomcat or java, what are
the
>symptoms I should look for.
>Will the heap usage (shown by visual GC, optimizeit etc) keep growing
and
>eventually reach the max limit set using -Xmx option to java?

Yes, the heap will keep growing and eventually reach the max, at which
point you will get OutOfMemoryErrors and hung/unstable behavior.
However, if your leak is small, it might take a very long time before
this situation is reached.

Run your app inside a profiler, conduct some operations typical to your
app, and then look at the heap.  Most profilers now have features that
show you object reference trees, i.e. what objects are holding onto what
references.  If you see stuff still in memory that you think shouldn't
be there, fix it.

Yoav