tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Shapira, Yoav" <Yoav.Shap...@mpi.com>
Subject RE: Questions on loading servlet vs. loading JSP
Date Tue, 02 Nov 2004 19:19:27 GMT

Hi,
As you know, a JSP is just a servlet after it's compiled.  A JSP call is
handled by the JSPServlet by default, which calls Jasper to evaluate
(and if necessary compile) the JSP into a .class file.  The request
processing and resource handling pipeline is otherwise identical.  As
the Tomcat source code is freely available to you (and anyone else),
feel free to confirm the above or just browse the code out of curiosity.

When you say "servlets get called from JSP's" -- what do you mean
exactly?  Is it an include, forward, or other RequestDispatcher-based
call?  Or is it a simple reference from an HTML page (in which case the
fact that the HTML page is generated by a JSP is irrelevant)?

Yoav Shapira http://www.yoavshapira.com