tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Shapira, Yoav" <Yoav.Shap...@mpi.com>
Subject RE: Huge tomcat memory footprint
Date Tue, 02 Nov 2004 13:49:21 GMT

Hi,
Yup, upgrade the JDK if you can, that's a bad version.  Struts 1.0.2 is
also fairly ancient, you'll gain if you update that as well.

The heap is not the only memory consumer in a given JVM.  There's the
stack, symbol tables, various lookup tables, etc.  As you load classes
at runtime some of these areas grow in consumption.  That's normal and
expected.

Then there's the OS-level memory, which is different and always larger
than the JVM itself.  That's why top is a sub-optimal (unless you really
know what you're doing) indicator of JVM memory usage.  The OS-level
memory includes other data such as paging and thread management
information, in addition to anything and everything used by the JVM.  As
the JVM itself grows, so will the OS-level memory consumption.

Yoav Shapira http://www.yoavshapira.com

The
>tomcat version is 4.1.27. The GUI is written using HTML/JSP/Struts
1.0.2.
>The database is Oracle version 8.x (I think). The application also has
API