tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Shapira, Yoav" <Yoav.Shap...@mpi.com>
Subject RE: Virtual Hosting Questions
Date Tue, 23 Nov 2004 15:24:56 GMT

Hi,

>The mapping of domain names to ip's is done (as usual) in the IP stack.
>Thus, using the /hosts /files on
>tomcat client and server boxes works fine for development scenarios
>where you do not want to
>expose you production domain names to the Internet via DNS. I
originally
>asked the question
>because the tomcat docs only mention DNS as the mapping agent, which
>seemed overly specific
>to me, unless tomcat had some reason to insist on DNS, which is
>apparently not the case.

Feel free to submit a doc patch for this issue.

>I do not think /just the default name/ is correct. It seems that the
>name attribute value must be a name
> that the client and server IP stacks can map to an IP address for the
>configuration to work, which
>does have to do with the host name in the browser's URL.

Yup, the docs have already been amended for that, now saying that this
must be a network name.

>Also, the name 'localhost' seems to be 'magic' in that there is code
>triggered by the occurrence of that
>particular name.  As others on the list have pointed out,  a value of
>'localhost' in the <Host name=...>
>attribute is mapped to 0.0.0.0, so that the host can respond to
requests
>from any domain.

When you or "others" can show me where in the Catalina code "localhost"
is magic or hard-wired, we can work on a better approach together.

Yoav Shapira http://www.yoavshapira.com