tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Shapira, Yoav" <Yoav.Shap...@mpi.com>
Subject RE: Implementing Realm
Date Wed, 17 Nov 2004 15:10:30 GMT

Hi,
The information below applies to Tomcat 5.x, not 4.x.

>I changed the realm in server.xml:
>
><Realm className="org.mortena.projectManagement.DynamicRealm"
debug="99"/>

This should be fine.

>Added the neccesary jar files to: server\lib

This is OK if your webapp classes don't need to access the Realm itself
(which is the normal case).  If they do, you should put the Realm jar in
common/lib instead.

>I get the error: "Can't create mbean instance" or something similar.

Can you please post the full log with the error message?

>As I then go to a restricted area on one of the webapps (like: manager)
>get an empty screen.

That's because of the startup error about the MBean instance.

>Can anyone guide me to an article on how to implement and deploy a
Realm...

You need to implement the org.apache.catalina.Realm interface, as you
probably already figured out.  But you also need to add its MBean
descriptor as documented at
http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-5.0-doc/mbeans-descriptor-howto.
html.  I'll add a link from the Realm How-To to this page.  This latter
step is required because Tomcat uses JMX to manage its realms.

Note that all of Tomcat's built-in Realms support runtime changes to the
data store, be it a file or a database.

Yoav