tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Justin Ruthenbeck <just...@nextengine.com>
Subject Re: Delivering JSPs without source
Date Wed, 01 Dec 2004 00:58:42 GMT

Hi Steve,

Hopefully I read your question right.  There is no reason why your app
wouldn't be able to find classes from a jar in common/lib -- there's
something else going on here.  Do you have duplicate copies of these
classes anywhere?  Do these classes rely on other classes found only in
the /webapp/WEB-INF/lib jars or /webapp/WEB-INF/classes?

This particular issue aside, there's no good reason why you should have
to place your JSPs in common/lib.  If there are other classes in your jar
which have to be there (custom realm impl, for example), then break those
out into a separate jar and keep your compiled JSPs in a separate jar in
WEB-INF/lib.  ... and if you find that your realm is being somehow
implemented in the JSP, you know you're really screwed.  :)

justin

At 03:32 PM 11/29/2004, you wrote:
>We have a web application that uses jsps.  We want to deliver the
>application to the customer without source for the jsps.  We have done
>this in the past by putting all of the compiled jsps into a jar file.
>
>Recently we had to move the application jar files from
>webapps/appname/WEB-INF/lib to common/lib because we implemented our own
>realm which uses our object repository; since it has to be installed in
>server/lib, the code for the repository cannot be installed under the
>web application directory.
>
>When the application is installed in common/lib it is not able to load
>the compiled jsp files.  They are installed in common/lib/.
>
>Does anyone have an idea about why these classes are not visible?
>
>Thanks,
>
>--Steven

Justin Ruthenbeck
Lead Software Engineer, NextEngine Inc.