tomcat-users mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From "Allistair Crossley" <Allistair.Cross...@QAS.com>
Subject RE: Tomcat 5.5.4, Logging and the death of my friend localhost_log
Date Fri, 12 Nov 2004 09:55:20 GMT
Hi,

I have some new information on this for my case. I created a small JSP that had a scriplet
error and ran it. I am definately using 5.5.4 with Java 5.0. In this case, I got the error
stack trace in stdout. This used to come out in localhost_log. That's fine, at least I got
it.

However, there is an error produced by my application on startup that is *not* being dumped
anywhere, and I do not believe either that any amount of log4j/commons configuration would
get it because log4j/commons logging is only useful where the developer chooses to notify
the logging subsystem which is not runtime errors fromt the JRE.

This is part of the stack trace in 5.0.28's localhost_log 

2004-11-08 09:29:32 StandardContext[/iq]Exception sending context initialized event to listener
instance of class com.qas.newmedia.intranet.iq.IQContextListener
java.lang.NullPointerException
	at com.qas.newmedia.intranet.iq.logic.core.CoreLogic.getDepartmentsByCategory(CoreLogic.java:234)
	at com.qas.newmedia.intranet.iq.IQContextListener.contextInitialized(IQContextListener.java:86)
	at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.listenerStart(StandardContext.java:3805)
	at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.start(StandardContext.java:4321)

Therefore a NullPointerException is being thrown in 5.5.4 but not being reported anywhere
which is a little unhelpful for me :(

So I am back to my original question really ... how on earth would I get this NPE logged by
Tomcat 5.5.4. 

Cheers, Allistair


> -----Original Message-----
> From: Shapira, Yoav [mailto:Yoav.Shapira@mpi.com]
> Sent: 11 November 2004 20:34
> To: Tomcat Users List
> Subject: RE: Tomcat 5.5.4, Logging and the death of my friend
> localhost_log
> 
> 
> 
> Hi,
> 
> 
> >I disagree with this statement, as it's too general. Personally, I
> >consider what is definitely superior in log4j are the many logger
> >implementations. As far as I can tell, these could (= should) be
> >ported to the java.logging API.
> 
> Sun can port those any time it wants -- they have the source. 
>  Log4j has
> features that make a difference in real life that go far beyond the
> logger implementations, in the areas of receivers and listeners.
> 
> >I see many people (including my company) moving away from the log4j
> >API, and going to commons-logging in order to get unified logging.
> >Ceki's continual refusal to engage in standardization process
> 
> Whoa there ;)  I don't think the causality is right above.  
> Log4j is not
> the reason commons-logging is around.  Commons-Logging was created to
> address other logging frameworks, most of which including JDK 1.4
> logging far post-date log4j.  If anything, those frameworks 
> have caused
> more fragmentation than log4j itself.  
> 
> Many of the relevant logging "standards" (given that there's 
> no JSR) are
> derived (if not plain copied) from log4j.  Furthermore, the 
> log4j people
> have been working for improve standards and teamwork in this 
> area, with
> Logging Services TLP and its other projects like log4net, 
> log4cpp, etc.
> 
> >will unfortunately have to veto any proposal to ship it with Tomcat.
> 
> I don't think any such proposal is forthcoming ;)  I'm in an 
> anti-bloat
> mood anyways, don't want to add anything else.
> 
> Yoav
> 
> 
> 
> This e-mail, including any attachments, is a confidential 
> business communication, and may contain information that is 
> confidential, proprietary and/or privileged.  This e-mail is 
> intended only for the individual(s) to whom it is addressed, 
> and may not be saved, copied, printed, disclosed or used by 
> anyone else.  If you are not the(an) intended recipient, 
> please immediately delete this e-mail from your computer 
> system and notify the sender.  Thank you.
> 
> 
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> To unsubscribe, e-mail: tomcat-user-unsubscribe@jakarta.apache.org
> For additional commands, e-mail: tomcat-user-help@jakarta.apache.org
> 
> 


<FONT SIZE=1 FACE="VERDANA,ARIAL" COLOR=BLUE> 
-------------------------------------------------------
QAS Ltd.
Developers of QuickAddress Software
<a href="http://www.qas.com">www.qas.com</a>
Registered in England: No 2582055
Registered in Australia: No 082 851 474
-------------------------------------------------------
</FONT>


---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: tomcat-user-unsubscribe@jakarta.apache.org
For additional commands, e-mail: tomcat-user-help@jakarta.apache.org


Mime
View raw message