tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Allistair Crossley" <Allistair.Cross...@QAS.com>
Subject RE: Tomcat 5.5.4 dont see Servlets in my app
Date Wed, 17 Nov 2004 14:28:59 GMT
José, there is no need to include compiled javax classes in your web application's classes.
These are provided by the application server (Tomcat) in the common/lib location which all
code in your web application will "see".
For database connectivity, see how to configure a datasource using Tomcat. In that case you
would add your 3 M$ database jars into common/lib so Tomcat can cofigure. I lose count of
the number of posts relating to datasource setup, so you will have no trouble.

OR if you insist on managing your own connectivity, your M$ database code should be wrapped
up in JARs and be located in your web application WEB-INF/lib location NOT as separate classes.
I would lookup jTDS as an alternative to M$'s drivers anyway - far quicker and documented.

Finally, you ought really only see

/yourwebapp
  + jsp
  + WEB-INF
    + classes
      + com (include servlets in your com packages)
    + lib
      - databaseDriver.jar (e.g jtds or msbase etc..) OR let Tomact do it with datasource
      - other libs (NOT servlet javax lib - this is provided by Tomcat)

Good luck.

QAS Ltd.
Developers of QuickAddress Software
Registered in England: No 2582055