tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Allistair Crossley" <Allistair.Cross...@QAS.com>
Subject Tomcat 5.5.4, Logging and the death of my friend localhost_log
Date Thu, 11 Nov 2004 15:25:48 GMT
Hi Guys,

Bit the bullet and have switched our intranet test server over to JDK 5 / Tomcat 5.5.4 Stable.

Anyway, I've hit a small hurdle and believe it or not it is not JNDI data sources .. that
stuff worked perfectly!

No, it's the other one .. logging. I am not quite getting where the old style Logger localhost_log
logging is being directed, you know the JSP error stack traces and all the other nice runtime
exception logging.

Now, I know Logger has been removed from 5.5 series and that we are supposed to be using some
kind of log4j / commons-logging stylee way but am fairly surprised that 5.5.4 did not come
with a basic setup for this.

Anyway, found the tomcat logging FAQ which explains to use commons-logging and so on, and
the links that point to some past posts, but the posts talk about tomcat 4 and the old log4j
category configuration. We're also directed over to commons-logging but that documentation
is not great.

I have tried what I believed to be how to do this, e.g I placed a basic console appender log4j.properties
file into tomcat/common/classes and popped log4j1.2.8 into the common/lib. No logging though.

My webapp's log4j logging is all working perfectly well, but I am after the old localhost_log
debug logging. Maybe I am missing something but that was our numero uno way of determining
what problems were happening during development, but now it's gone.

Can anyone offer a water-tight configuration with 5.5.4 to get this logging back?

Eternally grateful, Allistair.

PS: Got my copy of Halo 2 x)

QAS Ltd.
Developers of QuickAddress Software