tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Jacob Kjome <h...@visi.com>
Subject Re: FW: Configuring JAAS realm for a web appplication (Catalina class loader bug)
Date Mon, 08 Nov 2004 04:51:48 GMT

Well, the short answer is, move it to common/lib, not
server/lib.  server/lib is for stuff that *only* Tomcat itself should
see.  common/lib is for stuff that both the server and applications should
see (and shared/lib is the converse of server/lib, but different from
WEB-INF/lib since it is global to all apps in the server).

Even in the common/lib case, you may run into the same problem, though,
because if you put the jar in WEB-INF/lib, that will be loaded,
preferentially by the application because of child first classloading
behavior that Tomcat implements.  If JASS looks up this class as well, but
loads it in a different classloader you will run into the same issue.  In
this case, you'll need to remove the jar from WEB-INF/lib and load it from
common/lib only.

I can't say for sure that it isn't bad behavior by Tomcat, but I doubt
it.  It is just a classloading issue you'll have to deal with.  However,
this is one reason why many appservers out there don't use child first
classloading behavior by default, although in the server/lib situation
you'd get the same result in this case.  The common/lib case would have
been taken care of in a server implementing normal parent first
classloading behavior, but then it would be redundant to have the jar in
WEB-INF/lib in that case anyway.  Bottom line is that classloaders are
tricky and different situations call for different solutions so I doubt
there is anything fundamentally wrong with what Tomcat is doing.

Jake