tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Steve Procter <sproc...@sanasecurity.com>
Subject Re: Delivering JSPs without source
Date Wed, 01 Dec 2004 05:11:27 GMT
 > There is no reason why your app wouldn't be able to find classes from
a jar in common/lib -- there's something else going on here.

I agree.

The following comment in the WebappClassLoader javadoc might be relevant.

"IMPLEMENTATION NOTE - Due to limitations in Jasper compilation
technology, any repository which contains classes from the servlet API
will be ignored by the class loader."

I'm not sure whether the repository it refers to is a single jar file or
the entire set of directories and jar files that this class loader handles.

All of the class files are in common/lib so I don't believe the
WebappClassLoader is involved in loading these classes.  But the comment
matches my experience.  In earlier versions of the product the product
classes were all installed under webapps and the system loaded the
precompiled jsps fine.  After we moved all of the classes to common/lib
the jsps stopped loading.

 > It would seem that if a web page request comes in for a .jsp page,
Tomcat would have no file to compare the date against in your scheme of
putting the compiled .jsp page in a .jar file only.

I agree with this, also.  That matches what I step through the jsp
loader in my debugger.  When it tries to load the jsp file the first
thing it does is look for an already loaded JspServletWrapper object.
If it doesn't find one, it checks to see if the file exists and if not
gives up.

So, unless something else is loading the compiled jsp sevlets into the
list of known jsps, I don't think the system will load the compiled
servlet unless it can find the jsp file, or at least a file with the
correct name and an older modify time than the compiled version.

How do most companies deploy their web applications?  Do they include
the source code for the jsps?  Almost all of the companies I have worked
for have been very protective of their source code and won't allow it to
be released.

Thanks for the help,

--Steven