tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "D. Stimits" <>
Subject Re: can't find javac tomcat 5.0.30 jdk1.5.0
Date Tue, 30 Nov 2004 20:33:45 GMT
Shapira, Yoav wrote:
> Hi,
> The 5.0.30 fix is simple and should not have to do with this problem.
> I'm compiling JSPs fine using 5.0.30 on Solaris 8, with both JDK 1.4.2
> and 5.0.  Where is your JAVA_HOME set?

The logs say it cannot find (linux fedora core 2, jdk1.5.0) in
/opt/jdk1.5.0/bin/javac. JAVA_HOME is set to /opt/jdk1.5.0. Unless I
read this wrong, will check for this when tomcat5
starts, and tomcat5 starts just fine. Only during runtime recompile of
the ROOT JSP does it fail, and the logs say there is no
/opt/jdk1.5.0/bin/javac, yet there is clearly such a file and it is
executable and readable by all (I can use this from other users and
everyone can use it just fine).

FYI this is the ROOT sample app where I've altered a few words to test
JSP compile. The web.xml was updated to tell it to not point at the
static classes, maybe that is what I'm doing wrong. In
webapps/ROOT/WEB-INF/web.xml I commented out the following configuration
on JSPC servlet mappings (doing this does result in the manager app
seeing changes to display-name and description, with those lines active
no changes seem to be allowed at all):

Perhaps I should rephrase...which /opt/jdk1.5.0/bin/javac is it looking
for? Is it chrooting? Is it something that the JVM of the main tomcat5
can't see due to some security setting? What would cause a JSP recompile
to complain that there is no /opt/jdk1.5.0/bin/javac when there is?

D. Stimits, stimits AT comcast DOT net

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message