tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Tim Funk <>
Subject Re: Tomcat Requirements?
Date Tue, 30 Nov 2004 12:05:59 GMT
When Mysql is at 100%, you go to the Mysql list and ask for help.;)

A database at 100% could be any number of reasons:
1) A bad join
2) An inefficient query
3) Not enough memory on the server
4) Not enough memory for Mysql
5) Lack of indexes or poor index choices
6) ...

Get a second machine. Performance tuning will be much much easier todo.

Chris Cherrett wrote:

> Thank you for the suggestions.
> I had the client do just that this afternoon.
> Tomcat averaged 15% CPU
> Mysql spiked the CPU usage to 100% when hit with long queries.
> Would this be an indication of the need for RAM, or the need for a faster CPU?
> They are running 360MB of RAM. P3 450
> Thanks
> On November 30, 2004 03:20 am, Peter Crowther wrote:
>>>From: Chris Cherrett []
>>>I have a client who is claiming that my software is slowing
>>>down. I cannot determine why this would be.
>>Profile it - what's slow?  Start Admin Tools>Performance, add:
>>Processor>%CPU time
>>Physical Disk>Avg Disk Queue Length
>>Are you seeing high CPU use?  If so, a faster CPU is appropriate.
>>Are you seeing high pages/sec and high disk I/O (queue length regularly
>>above 3 for that config would be unpleasant)?  If so, add RAM.
>>Are you seeing high disk I/O without high pages/sec?  If so, something's
>>hammering your disk but your memory's OK... are you using a database?
>>Are you seeing none of these?  If so, check things like Windows
>>authentication - you don't want to be waiting for auth responses.
>>I know, I know, this is all just general Windows troubleshooting.  But
>>we can't give advice on improving performance until we have more
>>information on where the bottleneck is.

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message