tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Bob Feretich <bob.feret...@prodigy.net>
Subject Re: [HttpSession creation: When & How]
Date Tue, 30 Nov 2004 06:25:09 GMT
When Tomcat intercepts an access to a protected resource and redirects
to your login form, it saves your initial request by attaching it to the
session object. If the login is successful, it retrieves the saved
request and redirects to it. If you don't have an active session, it
creates one to perform the save.

The basic HttpSession object is for state management, not evidence of
authentication (see best practice RFC-2964 2.2.2). (You may attach
authentication info to the session object.)

Regards,
Bob Feretich