tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Harald Henkel <h.hen...@gs-automation.de>
Subject Re: Data sorting problem Tomcat<->Oracle
Date Wed, 24 Nov 2004 16:03:02 GMT
Hello Tim.

Thanks, I got at last a working solution.

Tim Funk wrote:

> Ahhh. The archives have a lot of references about System environment
> variables not being set when run as a service.

I guess it doesn't have too much to do with that. I now tested running
it standalone.

> If you are using the type 4 driver - I don't think it looks for Environment
> variables or the registry since the driver is pure java. Oracle's support
> would probably be more helpful for the appropriate connection string. (Or
> setting)

That was a good hint. Indeed I'm usually using a Jdbc Thin driver and I
looked into some Oracle newsgroup.

I tried starting Tomcat standalone adding a -Duser.language=en into the
java starting command.

And this works.

Again, thanks for the hint, I wasted a lot of time on this one.
Should really ask earlier.

With kind regards,
Harald Henkel

> -Tim
>
> Harald Henkel wrote:
> >
> > Tim Funk wrote:
> >
> >>Tomcat knows nothing about NLS_SORT.
> >>
> >>Odds are NLS_SORT is probably not set when running on XP.
> >

> > ???
> > Oracle usually sets values in the registry, and by default only
> > NLS_LANG, from which the other values are derived.
> > If you want to change the defaults, you could either define registry
> > entries for those, or set environment variables.
> >
> > I use Tomcat as service on NT.
> > Could it be, that it doesn't get the System environment varible ?
> > I will try starting Tomcat from the CMD.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Harald Henkel
> >

> >>-Tim

Harald Henkel