tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Matt Bathje <...@ntsource.com>
Subject Re: Tomcat, Apache connected in interesting way
Date Tue, 23 Nov 2004 18:02:10 GMT
Joshua Szmajda wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I run a pretty high traffic site using Tomcat. We've gone through a
> number of configurations in the past, and I wanted to share with you the
> newest setup that we're using. It's a bit unorthodox perhaps, and I was
> wondering if anyone could think of possible problems? It does seem to be
> the fastest and most stable setup we've had yet.
>
> Previously we've used Apache and Tomcat connected through jk1 and jk2.
> Also we've run direct to tomcat's http connector. JK1 was ok, but very
> slow. JK2 was fast (using unixSocket communication), but very buggy and
> crash prone. Tomcat alone was good, but it lacked some advanced apache
> stuff we wanted (Mostly URL Rewriting and good SSL handling).
>
> After reading about the upcoming mod_proxy ajp connector for apache 2.2,
> I had the idea to use stuff that's in the current RHEL apache 2.0
> release to accomplish what I feel to be a similar effect. We've set up
> apache to reverse proxy requests for .jsp and .do (we're using struts)
> to tomcat's standard http connector.
>  From the httpd.conf:
>
> <Proxy *>
>  Order deny,allow
>  Allow from all
> </Proxy>
> ProxyRequests off
>
> RewriteEngine on
> RewriteRule ^/$ http://128.121.26.205/index.jsp [P,NC]
> RewriteRule ^/(.*.jsp.*)$ http://128.121.26.205/$1 [P,NC]
> RewriteRule ^/(.*.do.*)$ http://128.121.26.205/$1 [P,NC]
>
> This allows apache to process additional rewriting things (I left them
> out) and also to serve images and other static content. I felt that
> apache would be better at handling static content than tomcat in
> general, so this will be an overall speed improvement.
>
> Anyway, any flaws here I should be aware of? Comments? Thanks!

Joshua -

Are tomcat and apache running on the same server? If so, it appears from
what you have here that they are on the same port...so...what am I missing?

Also, how do you handle .jsps and .dos that need to be handled by Tomcat
securely (using SSL). This seems to pass them all off to the non-secure
version. Would it just be a more complex RewriteRule that tests for
https vs. http?

Thanks,
Matt