tomcat-users mailing list archives

From John Sidney-Woollett <joh...@wardbrook.com>
Date Sun, 21 Nov 2004 15:45:18 GMT
Is there any way on tomcat 5.0.x to prevent tomcat/defaultServlet
creating a session when serving static image files (*.jpg, *.gif, *.png)?

This is only an issue if the browser has cookies switched off (and some
users do).

I know you can prevent the creation of a session in a JSP with (<%@ page
session="false" %>), but is there a way of doing this for other
resources (like images)?

We log all new sessions in a database, but we're finding when a browser
has cookies switched off the defaultservlet/tomcat is generating a new
session to serve each graphic elements on the page and it's clogging up
our session monitor/logger (which implements HttpSessionListener).

Also it's hard to distinguish these sessions from real user sessions -
although we can if we use a filter to check the request URL to see what
resource was requested, and then ignore the image requests.

Any ideas?

John Sidney-Woollett