tomcat-users mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Aman Raheja <arah...@techquotes.com>
Subject Re: Problem displaying PDF in IE6 from Tomcat using the ActiveX R eader Plug-in
Date Thu, 18 Nov 2004 16:47:41 GMT
Some more info to respond to the earlier responses

1) We're seeing more evidence this is a problem with Reader 6.0.1 (or 
the 6.0.2 patch).  We have a PC with Reader 6.0.0 that works Ok, as well 
as a PC with 5.0.  Our company has done a mass upgrade to Reader 6.0.1 
and IE 6.0.2, so these PCs are not the norm.
2) No SSL is being used at this point (but it will eventually).
3) No compression (that I know of -- unless Tomcat is doing it for us).
4) Our JSP is supposed to be a generic file downloader, handling Word, 
Excel, PDF, etc.   Hence the URL ends in ".jsp" vs. the real file 
extension.
5) Here's a typical response we're getting in IE:

HTTP/1.0 200 OK
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2004 20:33:26 GMT
Server: Apache Tomcat/4.0.6 (HTTP/1.1 Connector)
Content-Type: application/pdf;charset=ISO-8859-1
Content-Length: 156483
Content-disposition: attachement; filename="Germany.pdf"
expires: Thu, 01 Jan 1970 00:00:00 GMT
Connection: close


Thanks,
Aman Raheja



Phillip Qin wrote:

>Where do you generate the pdf? In servlet? The link has to be end with .pdf
>(but before any query string) in order for acrobat reader active-x to kick
>in.
>
>-----Original Message-----
>From: Aman Raheja [mailto:araheja@techquotes.com] 
>Sent: November 16, 2004 9:27 AM
>To: Tomcat Users List
>Subject: Re: Problem displaying PDF in IE6 from Tomcat using the ActiveX R
>eader Plug-in
>
>
>We did set the Security level to low on IE.
>More suggestions?
>Thanks
>Aman Raheja
>
>Phillip Qin wrote:
>
>  
>
>>There are security and privacy settings in IE affect PDF generation. 
>>BTW, ensurethe link before query string ends with .pdf
>>
>>-----Original Message-----
>>From: Aman Raheja [mailto:araheja@techquotes.com]
>>Sent: November 15, 2004 1:40 PM
>>To: tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org
>>Subject: Problem displaying PDF in IE6 from Tomcat using the ActiveX Reader
>>Plug-in
>>
>>
>>Problem:
>>
>>When we try to display a dynamically generated PDF file, IE launches 
>>the
>>Adobe Acrobat Reader Plugin, but then just a blank page is displayed and 
>>the IE status says "Done".  No error message is displayed.  No error is 
>>generated in the System Event logs.
>>
>>The issue seems to be that every request to request to Tomcat for the
>>PDF send back the request with "charset=ISO-8859-1" in the 
>>"Content-type" Header. We want to figure out a way to verify that this 
>>is the issue. One way might be to somehow get Tomcat to not append the 
>>Character Set in the header. Is there a way to do this?
>>
>>Environment:
>>
>>- Client: Windows XP or Windows 2000
>>- Server: Tomcat 4.0.6/JDK 1.3.1 running on Solaris and Windows XP
>>(problem exists on both)
>>- Adobe Reader 6.0.1 (occurs with 6.0.2 patch as well)
>>- IE 6.0.2800
>>
>>
>>Additional Information:
>>
>>1) Our URLs are formed like this:
>>
>>http://app.ourserver.com/appname/docViewAGN.jsp?RepoType=C&ID=18698&Doc
>>Name=
>>Germany&entry=&DocType=pdf&category=Research
>>
>>2) Our app is issuing GETs, not POSTs.
>>
>>3) This is happening on multiple PCs.  One thing we noticed is this may
>>be somewhat Reader version dependent -- we have a few machines left with 
>>Reader 5 installed, and they do not seem to have the problem.
>>
>>4) When the problem occurs, if you then launch Reader manually, the
>>document that didn't display in the IE window is automatically displayed 
>>in the full client Reader app.!!!
>>
>>5) If we set Reader to not open up PDFs in browser windows, the Reader 
>>window launches and opens the PDF file just fine.   [This is a client 
>>solution, and not practical to implement across hundreds of PCs
>>unfortunately.]
>>
>>6) We actually have one PC with Windows XP, Reader 6.0.1, and IE 6.0.2
>>that works.  Could this problem be caused by some specific Windows or IE 
>>patch?
>>
>>7) We've scoured the forums and tried several things including setting
>>all security levels to Low in IE, adding a dummy parm at the end of the 
>>URL to fool IE into launching the PDF correctly (e.g. &dummy=file.pdf), 
>>and various header settings to force caching on to 30 seconds, etc.  
>>None of this had any effect.
>>
>>8) Also, we saw some references to problems caused by Tomcat 4.0.6
>>adding "charset=ISO-8859-1" to the Content-Type header in the response.  
>>How can we override this to see if that's the problem?
>>
>>Thanks
>>Aman Raheja
>>
>>
>>---------------------------------------------------------------------
>>To unsubscribe, e-mail: tomcat-user-unsubscribe@jakarta.apache.org
>>For additional commands, e-mail: tomcat-user-help@jakarta.apache.org
>>
>>
>>
>>
>> 
>>
>>    
>>
>
>
>---------------------------------------------------------------------
>To unsubscribe, e-mail: tomcat-user-unsubscribe@jakarta.apache.org
>For additional commands, e-mail: tomcat-user-help@jakarta.apache.org
>
>
>!DSPAM:419a0e4b161771045017228!
>
>  
>


---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: tomcat-user-unsubscribe@jakarta.apache.org
For additional commands, e-mail: tomcat-user-help@jakarta.apache.org


Mime
View raw message