tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Bill Winspur <bwins...@wynnon.com>
Subject Virtual Hosting Questions
Date Wed, 17 Nov 2004 18:52:45 GMT
I need to set up a few virtual hosts for a development project, and
being new to Tomcat virtual hosts, have a couple of questions:
-------------------
1. In development, the clients and tomcat will be on an intranet. I plan
to use the hosts files of the client and tomcat boxes to map domain
names to IP addresses, thereby preempting invocation of DNS, and thus
exposure of our product-specific domain names to the Internet at-large,
until the site is deployed publicly.

Question 1: Is this hosts-file approach feasible? Does tomcat care HOW
domain names
are mapped to IP addresses?
------------------
The following fragment is extracted from conf/server.xml of the the
tomcat distribution:

<Host name="localhost" debug="0" appBase="webapps"
          unpackWARs="true" autoDeploy="true"
              directory="logs"  prefix="localhost_log." suffix=".txt"
              timestamp="true"/>
</Host>

Question 2: Why is the host named localhost? From the documentation, I
expected that only URL's of the form http://localhost:8080/... would be
handled by this virtual host, but it seems to handle any URL's that map
to the IP and port of the real host that tomcat serves.
Question 3: How would one configure a 'local' virtual host, i.e. a host
visible only on the box that runs tomcat?