tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Troy Simpson <troy_simp...@ncsu.edu>
Subject Re: Server Component....What IP does the shutdown service listen to?
Date Wed, 17 Nov 2004 17:12:28 GMT
mks,

I did not know about the -n switch.  Thanks, that is helpful to know.
Mostly I did not trust myself and just wanted to confirm what I was
understand because I did not see it explicitly in the docs.

Thanks all,
Troy

Markus Schönhaber wrote:

> Troy Simpson wrote:
>
>> OS: Sun Solaris 8
>> Tomcat: 5.5.4
>> Documentation:
>> http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-5.5-doc/config/server.html
>>
>> According to the documentation, the server component has attributes
>> for className, port, and shutdown, but not bindIPAddress.  What IP
>> address is the server listening to for the shutdown command?
>>
>> If my server.xml file contains this:
>>
>> <Server port="8005" shutdown="SHUTDOWN" debug="0">...</Server>
>>
>> ...is the server waiting for the shutdown command, SHUTDOWN, on
>> 127.0.0.1:8005?
>> or
>> ...is the server waiting for the shutdown command, SHUTDOWN, on
>> *:8005 (All IP addresses assigned to the server)?
>>
>> I run netstat -a and I get the following for port 8005:
>>   Local Address         Remote Address     State
>> -------------------- -------------------- -------
>> localhost.8005             *.*                0      0 24576      0
>> LISTEN
>>
>> I'm not much of a sysadmin, but this suggest that something (tomcat)
>> is listening for the shutdown command on 127.0.0.1:8005.
>> Am I correct?
>>
> Yes. As
> netstat -an
> should have told you (or doesn't Solaris' netstat understand the "-n"
> switch?).
>
> Regards
> mks

Troy Simpson
  Applications Analyst/Programmer, OCPDBA, MCSE, SCSA
North Carolina State University Libraries
Campus Box 7111 | Raleigh | North Carolina
ph.919.515.3855 | fax.919.513.3330
E-mail: Troy_Simpson@ncsu.edu