tomcat-users mailing list archives

From John Sidney-Woollett <joh...@wardbrook.com>
Subject RE: http->https url rewrite bug TC 5.0.28?
Date Mon, 15 Nov 2004 17:21:05 GMT
Yoav

Either you're wrong or Tomcat 5.0.x may be broken...

With cookies enabled you can transfer the session from a non-secure
connection to a secure connection for the same domain/webapp. Tomcat
does NOT generate a new (secure) session.

The problem is that TC 5.0.28 does not exhibit the same behaviour when
cookies are disabled. In this case, Tomcat does in fact generate a new
(secure) session.

So what we have here appears to be non-consistant behaviour from Tomcat
based on client behaviour beyond the control of the web app developer... :(

And all because response.encodeRedirectURL(url) did not append the
jsessionid to the URL when switching protocols. If encodeRedirectURL
appended the session id, then you would have consistant behaviour from
Tomcat.

Now it could be that using response.encodeRedirectURL(url) is not the
correct way to pass the session from an http to https connection. And in
fact the only way to guarantee that the non-secure session data is
passed to the secure connection is using the following hack:

url = url + ";jsessionid=" + session.getId()

when cookies are disabled.

My personal preference is to create a new static method which takes the
current request and the new request URL and generates a correctly
rewritten URL (based on the fact that I want the non-secure session
passed to the secure pages). And to use that whereever I have been using
response.encodeRedirectURL(url) and response.encodeURL(url)

I still that Tomcat is broken/inconsistant on this point...

Any other thoughts or solutions, anyone?

John Sidney-Woollett