tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Wolfgang Hackl <wolf.ha...@inode.at>
Subject Re: [ANN] Multiple Instances Tomcat Installer
Date Mon, 15 Nov 2004 11:01:12 GMT
Peter Crowther wrote:

>>From: Wolfgang Hackl [mailto:wolf.hackl@inode.at]
>>To be serious, I am of the opinion that the Tomcat project can benefit
>>from an application that helps Administrators with installation and
>>management of multiple Tomcat instances (which is a superset of MITI's
>>features).
>>

>Yes please!  We have an extra requirement - we have multiple
>*developers* running separate Tomcat instances on the same box.  We want
>to ensure that they can run a Tomcat instance from their own filestore,
>but without the ports colliding.  They may not all have root access on
>the box.
>
>Any thoughts as to whether MITI could help with this?

Hi Peter!

As a workaround you might add all developers to the same group or tune
the chmod/chown/chgrp statements in the script. Please consider the
TOMCAT_USER variable in the Tomcat5.sh script, too. Root access is not
necessary as long as you can do without a start script and links in
/etc/init.d. The start script gets generated to $CATALINA_BASE anyway
and hopefully can be started with developers' privileges from there.

Wolfgang