tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Kevin A. Burton" <bur...@newsmonster.org>
Subject Re: OutOfMemory errors compiling JSPs on 5.0.16 and 5.5.4
Date Sun, 14 Nov 2004 01:30:38 GMT
Remy Maucherat wrote:

>On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 17:17:28 -0800, Kevin A. Burton
><burton@newsmonster.org> wrote:
>

>>- For all my JSPs I fetch them with the URL foo.jsp?jsp_precompile=true
>>to trigger precompilation
>>

>How many JSPs must be compiled to cause problems ?

About 50 or so... it changes every time.   Sometimes I have to trigger a
precompile twice.

>>Note that the VM still shows plenty of memory so I'm not sure what the
>>heck is going on here.  I also looked at our file handles and they seem
>>fine too.
>>

>In that kind of situation, a profiler will have to be used. All I can
>tell right now is that it has nothing to do with the Java compilation,
>which is not very surprising.

Why is it then that doing a ?jsp_precompile=true for all my JSPs and NO
other action causes this?

>For really large web applications, I think you should precompile as
>many JSPs as possible anyway, as a JSP compiled dynamically will
>always use more resources (even if there is no bug in Jasper).

Well thats probably an approach we will take but its unfortunate.

If i had a profiler I would connect it to figure out whats going on but
I'm really not happy with any of them.

Kevin

get a free iPod!