tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Kevin A. Burton" <bur...@newsmonster.org>
Subject OutOfMemory errors compiling JSPs on 5.0.16 and 5.5.4
Date Sat, 13 Nov 2004 01:17:28 GMT
I'm having a terrible time trying to get my JSPs compiled on Tomcat.

We started having OutOfMemory problems a while back and I've tracked it
down to JSP compilation.

Here's what I can do to replicate the problem:

- shutdown tomcat
- remove the work directory
- startup tomcat
- For all my JSPs I fetch them with the URL foo.jsp?jsp_precompile=true
to trigger precompilation

After about 10 minutes (and 50-100 JSP files) Tomcat will fail with:

SEVERE: Servlet.service() for servlet jsp threw exception
java.lang.OutOfMemoryError

Note that the VM still shows plenty of memory so I'm not sure what the
heck is going on here.  I also looked at our file handles and they seem
fine too.

I've followed all suggestions I've found via Google including:

- setting fork to true
- using jikes
- Migrating to Tomcat 5.5.4 to use jdtool.

The machine has PLENTY of memory available:

export JAVA_OPTS="-server -Xmx1280M -Xms512M -Djava.awt.headless=true"

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

We're probably going to migrate to using the command line JspC compiler
to build all our JSPs before hand so the webapp doesn't need to compile
them at runtime but this seems like a cheap workaround.  I'd rather
Tomcat weren't broken in this regard.

Kevin

get a free iPod!