tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Peter Johnson <pe...@wizardslair.net>
Subject Re: Configuration Management, JSP Recompiles, War Files
Date Tue, 09 Nov 2004 08:37:18 GMT
Steven J. Owens wrote:

>Peter,
>
>On Tue, Nov 09, 2004 at 08:42:34AM +1100, Peter Johnson wrote:
>

>>We run 5 Tomcat servers (still on 4.1.x so not clustered) and use
>>CVS with two tags: 'stage' and 'prod'.
>>

>     I'm a little unclear on what this means - do you mean branches?
>
>     Or do you mean that you effectively do some sort of script to
>"get the latest stage tag" vs "get the latest prod tag"?  That's
>something I hadn't considered, but it sounds like it might be easier
>than branches (which I haven't really messed with, but seem to be
>notoriously tricky).

Nope, no branches just tags

>>When a push script is executed the server pulls the appropriate
>>version from cvs and then performs an ant task to deploy the app,
>>compiling any changed classes. We find that this works just fine and
>>haven't really had any issues.
>>

>     Okay, so ant task to build war file and push it to the tomcat
>server.  Sounds fairly standard (though still unexplored territory for
>me).

No WAR just straight file copy for the JSPs, compile and copy for
classes. (This process was developed prior to good admin / deployment
interfaces)

>>Check that you are using <jsp:include ...> (include on execute) rather
>>than <@ include ...> (include on compile) as this *may* be causing the
>>issue.
>>

>     Yup, we're using <jsp:include>.
>

>>Just out of curiousity why are you are deploying individual apps if they
>>are so similar? Why don't you just implement a "branding" infrastructure
>>and run a single app with multiple brandings?
>>

>     Honestly, I've considered it several times.  We're really, really
>close to that point already.  All it would take would be to switch the
>various logo.gif and CSS imports to use a property instead of copying
>a template file.  Then I'd set up the property singleton to use a
>different property file & database depending on which URL mapping the
>user requested.
>
>     The real reason I haven't is that it just doesn't buy me anything
>significant to run them all off the same webapp, while it increases
>(instead of decreases) the interdependency, and makes testing much
>more white-knuckle.  I keep thinking, "well, it wouldn't be that
>hard...", but there's no real concrete advantage to do this, except to
>save a little bit of disk and memory.  And if I ever *do* have a
>serious need do something custom for one instance or another, I'm
>screwed.

Our  app http://www.optusnet.com.au currently runs 4 brands with varying
content requirements. The complexity really isn't that great as most of
the work is performed by a custom include tag which searches a
pre-defined path tree for the specified module. The first one found is
the one it uses. Each brand has slightly differing content.

To me it is a no-brainer to go the branding path but YMMV.

PJ