tomcat-users mailing list archives

From root <ran...@houston.rr.com>
Subject Logging problem under Tomcat 5.0
Date Fri, 05 Nov 2004 22:57:42 GMT
I've had a development site up for a couple of months using log4j-1.2.8
for logging.  I made several changes in the last couple of days, and
something decided to set the default log level to DEBUG.  Now when I try
to restart the site I get 10-20 Meg of log messages.  They are in
launcher.server.log and the problems start when the startup script
(tomcat/bin/startup.sh) announces

'Redirecting application output to
/use/local/tomcat/logs/launcher.server.log'

the first messages into that log are at DEBUG level (they didn't used to
be) -

[DEBUG] Embedded - -Setting naming prefix=org.apache.naming
[DEBUG] Digester - -addRuleSet() with no namespace URI

I don't know if I care about Digester, but sax spits out a bunch and we
do need it.  In any event, I don't like the log level changing without
knowing why & without explicitly allowing it (tho' by deploying some jar
or war, I've effectively ok'd it).

Any suggestions on an easy way to track down the culprit or prevent some
random process of jacking up the default log level?

BTW -  tomcat/conf/log4j.properties is still reasonable & I've found
nothing unusual in tomcat/conv/server.xml .

Thanks in advance.