tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Jonathan Wilson" <jnwil...@dallas.photronics.com>
Subject Re: Form-based login question - explicit login
Date Fri, 05 Nov 2004 21:33:57 GMT
There's probably a much better way, but I like the fine-grained approach
I use. Unfortunately(or
fortunately) it requires *every* page you want access controlled to have
a <jsp:include> tag. The
included jsp file checks a session variable to determine if the user is
logged in, and whether or
not their 'role' is sufficient(my app-defined roles, not to be confused
with the role mechanism
contained within Tomcat itself) to access the resource - so the
jsp:included page either forwards them to login page,
notifies them they don't have the necessary priviledges, or lets them
pass through. For the proper jsp:forward after the
user successfully logs in (or if s/he already has the proper perms) I
just check a calling parameter which I set from the original calling
page(which is properly URL encoded) and jsp:forward the user to that
resource. You should check for null forwarding parameters in case
the access controlled page doesn't actually set it's forward address
properly(well worth your time). Probably a confusing
process, but it makes sense to me! ..and it's working on a large-scale
in-house production app - their are performance issues I'm sure
if your considering a super-large deployment.

If anybody has a better/quicker solution I'm interested.

--JW