tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Steven J. Owens" <puffm...@darksleep.com>
Subject Re: Tomcat crashing
Date Wed, 17 Nov 2004 18:09:21 GMT

On Wed, Nov 17, 2004 at 12:36:11PM -0500, Peter O'Reilly wrote:
> Where are my responses going?

     Nowhere, it gets discarded.

     First, it's not _certain_ that what I described above is
happening to your app.  Just a possibility you should bear in mind
while investigating (it took me several days of frutration to figure
out that was what was going on in my case).

     Second, what's happening in general here is that when the client
closes the connection, there's no way for it to proactively notify the
tomcat server about that fact.  All it does is close *its* side (the
client machine's side) of the connection.  Tomcat won't notice that
the connection closed until it tries to send some packets back on it.
At that point, tomcat will see the connection is closed and throw a
connection-reset-by-peer exception.  This exception interrupts the
servlet or jsp code, and the data that *was* going to be sent back to
the client gets discarded.

--
Steven J. Owens
puff@darksleep.com