tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Steven J. Owens" <puffm...@darksleep.com>
Subject Re: Tomcat crashing
Date Wed, 17 Nov 2004 17:29:54 GMT
On Wed, Nov 17, 2004 at 08:30:14AM -0500, Shapira, Yoav wrote:
> This exception is first of all not fatal, and secondly usually indicates
> a client closed the browser (and therefore the output sink, from
> Tomcat's perspective) while Tomcat is still writing output to it.  You
> can STFA for more details if you'd like.

     On a related note, I've run into some really tricky situations
where client was hitting the tomcat server via a proxy server.  The
client timeout was set shorter than the proxy server timeout, which
resulted in a mysterious situation where both sides had contradictory
errors:

client asks proxy server for page
     proxy server asks tomcat for page
client gives up, doesn't tell proxy server
     proxy server finally gets a response
     proxy server starts to write back to client, notices connection is closed
     proxy server closes connection to tomcat

     The result is a timeout error at the client, and a connection
reset exception in the tomcat log.

--
Steven J. Owens
puff@darksleep.com