tomcat-users mailing list archives

From QM <qm...@brandxdev.net>
Subject Re: Problem with classpaths
Date Sat, 13 Nov 2004 14:32:08 GMT
On Sat, Nov 13, 2004 at 10:33:24AM +0530, Venkatesh.Babu@trilogy.com wrote:
: I've placed all my classes in
: <CATALINA_HOME>/webapps/myapp/WEB-INF/classes
: I've placed all my jars including the jgl3.1.0.jar(that contains
: com.objectspace.jgl.Sequence) in <CATALINA_HOME>/webapps/myapp/WEB-INF/lib
:
: and all the other commonly used jars including the servlet.jar (contains
: javax.servlet.HttpServlet) in <CATALINA_HOME>/common/lib/

Do you have two copies of servlet.jar (or another JAR file that contains
servlet classes) elsewhere?  That would cause all sorts of classloader
problems.

: If I don't include the servlet.jar in my CLASSPATH, I get a no class def
: found error for HttpServlet and once I include servlet.jar, I get a
: noclassdef found error for Sequence.

Be careful how you use the term CLASSPATH -- you don't set this variable
explicitly when you use Tomcat. Follow the guidelines and place JAR
files or classes under certain directories (e.g. {context}/WEB-INF/lib,
{tomcat}/common/lib, etc).

: Can anybody please tell me as to how
: the CLASSPATH works for tomcat and what all should I include in
: classpath... I would be grateful for the info u provide... This problem is
: bugging me since the past 2 days :-(

There's a classloader doc on the Tomcat website.

-QM

--

software  -- http://www.brandxdev.net
tech news -- http://www.RoarNetworX.com