tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Anand Narasimhan" <ana...@cisco.com>
Subject RE: Huge tomcat memory footprint
Date Wed, 03 Nov 2004 20:05:37 GMT
Thanks for the reply.

I have upgraded the JDK version to 1.4.2_06 and ran some small test cases.
But I don't see a significant change.

> The heap is not the only memory consumer in a given JVM.
> There's the stack, symbol tables, various lookup tables, etc.
>  As you load classes at runtime some of these areas grow in
> consumption.  That's normal and expected.
>
> Then there's the OS-level memory, which is different and
> always larger than the JVM itself.  That's why top is a
> sub-optimal (unless you really know what you're doing)
> indicator of JVM memory usage.  The OS-level memory includes
> other data such as paging and thread management information,
> in addition to anything and everything used by the JVM.  As
> the JVM itself grows, so will the OS-level memory consumption.

I understand that the process size will be a lot larger than the JVM itself.
But in this case the size keeps growing. At one stage I saw that the size
reported by top, pmap and pmem commands was about 2.5G. Is this normal. I
have 1G RAM on my system. If the process virtual memory keeps growing,
doesn't the OS needs to do frequent paging and hence affect the performance
of the system?