tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Hua Hou" <...@handango.com>
Subject RE: JK2 crashes IIS
Date Tue, 23 Nov 2004 20:33:15 GMT
After I uninstall and re-install IIS, the problem is fixed. Here is
another hint from a Tomcat user:
==
You've already enabled full debugging for the log
which is a good start. My log info was exactly the
same, although in my case only the ISAPI filter
"crashed" rather than all of IIS (in reality, I think
the ISAPI filter was forced to unload by IIS/Windows,
but the effect is the same). A restart of IIS would
reload the ISAPI fine. It would then examine/log every
incoming request until a match was found, indicating
that the request should be redirected; at this point
it would crash.

I felt that this was a permissions issue; either the
DLL was not allowed to execute correctly, or a new
socket could not be created. Using Windows "Audit
Object Access" could identify the denial, but
potentially auditing would have to be enabled for
multiple folders. Rather than turn Auditing on for
numerous folders, what we did was to use FileMon, a
very useful utility from SysInternals:
http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/source/filemon.shtml

With FileMon running in the background, I restarted
IIS and checked that the isapi_redirect.log started to
grow. I then accessed a URL which caused (as expected)
the ISAPI to unload. FileMon pinpointed the file to
which access was being denied - and after all this
time, it was the isapi_redirect.dll !!!

We then enabled Auditing on this DLL and repeated the
test; this told us which NT user was being denied
access (FileMon doesn't include this level of detail).

The NT permissions on the DLL were correct, but IIS
had both "Anonymous" and "Integrated Windows
authentication" (aka NTLM) access enabled. The NT authentication was
correct, but IIS was trying Anonymous first, which was causing the ISAPI
to unload. By simply disabling Anonymous, so that only Integrated was
enabled, the ISAPI started working. One little tick box...

Whilst your problem may not be exactly the same, I
think some change has occurred in your set up to upset
the permissions. This may be due to a patch from
Microsoft, or some extra security (eg. URLScan), or
just a minor change in IIS which has had some
unexpected results.
=