tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Ryan Daly <d...@ctc.com>
Subject RE: Multipe Tomcat instances
Date Wed, 01 Dec 2004 03:39:19 GMT
On Mon, 2004-11-29 at 14:53, Shapira, Yoav wrote:
> Hi,
> I do it this way all the time.  The biggest pro is complete separation.
> If one app gets whacky (heavy load, OutOfMemoryError, malicious attack),
> others are not affected at all.  If one app needs to be upgraded or a
> bug fix shipped, or its server restarted, again, others are not affected
> at all.

How do you handle the server.xml and the other configuration?  Do you
start Tomcat with an option to read a different config file, or do you
have separate installations of Tomcat for each and every webapp?

> Cons include inability to run these apps on the same port (this can be
> overcome by putting a common front end, which I usually do with another
> Tomcat running only the balancer app), and increased
> monitoring/maintenance needed (which again can be mitigated with tools
> like nagios).

I'm not that familiar with the balancer app.  Can you explain a little
or is that pretty clear somewhere in the docs?