tomcat-users mailing list archives

From David Evans <dsev...@berndtgroup.net>
Subject RE: Accessing resource in WEB-INF outside servlet
Date Mon, 08 Nov 2004 13:52:24 GMT
Is using JNDI to access a file like this a reasonable approach? I just
started using JNDI to name my database connections via a connection
pool. And when i saw the simplicity of accessing the JNDI context within
my java classes, i got to thinking that i should use it to access many
of my applications configuration variables, such as the location of
various directories for templates and uploads. it seems much cleaner
than passing the request around just to get at the application scope.

Could the original poster stick either the file location in the JNDI
context, so he could easily reference it later, or if the file wasn't
too large, use a custom resource factory to wrap its contents in a bean
and then use the JNDI context to access the file contents.

I haven't tried any of this myself, but was planning to in the next week
or two, when i got some time. Can anyone point out pros and cons of this
approach?

the link to the tomcat/JNDI documentation:
http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-5.0-doc/jndi-resources-howto.html

dave

On Mon, 2004-11-08 at
08:03, Shapira, Yoav wrote:
> Hi,
> Then you have a screwed up design.  There's no portable way to get the ServletContext
to fit your needs, and there's no way to make Class#getResource read /WEB-INF unless you write
a custom ClassLoader.  Change your approach.