tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Ben Souther <bsout...@fwdco.com>
Subject RE: Response and file downloads
Date Mon, 01 Nov 2004 20:26:33 GMT
As the other poster correctly stated HTTP is a single request/response
protocol -- emphasis on "protocol".  Once you send the headers and
response to a browser from a server, you can't send another one.
This is not a Tomcat issue.

On Mon, 2004-11-01 at 15:17, Luc Foisy wrote:
> I know there is only a single response, thats why I want to create a new one :)
>
> I don't even want to get into opening other windows nor do I want to rely on javascript
for required operation.

> I am not sure what you are refering to as atypical or robustness...
>
> How do other sites generate files on the fly (take it out of a database, or a report
just run), on form submit, and send them down the line and not run into this problem?

> I see many people posting many places on the net that they are using the response to
send a file, a lot of them are getting this IllegalState, but I never really found a followup
solution that really fit my needs.

> Why would the possibility exist to push a file through the response if it leaves you
with the ability to go nowhere after?